On this page
Deploy Elixir applications
Clever Cloud supports Elixir based applications.
Create an application on Clever Cloud
via the web console
- Select the proper organization you want to add the application to. At this point you should only have the Personal Space, click on the Me button in the left sidebar.
- Create a new application by clicking on the Create… button in the sidebar, then select an application.
- Select a brand new instance (or a repository from GitHub if your account is linked).
- Then select Elixir in the platform list.
- Configure your scaling options.
- Enter your application’s name and description and click “Next”. You can also select the region you want (North America or Europe).
Refer to the getting started for more details on application creation via the console.
via the Clever Tools CLI
- Make sure you have clever-tools installed locally. Report to the getting started.
- In your code folder, do
clever create --type <type> <app-name> --region <zone> --org <org>where
typeis the type of technology you rely on,
app-namethe name you want for your application,
zonedeployment zone (
parfor Paris and
mtlfor Montreal), and
orgthe organization ID the application will be created under.
Refer to the documentation for more details on application creation with Clever Tools.
Setting up environment variables on Clever Cloud
With the Clever Cloud console
- Go to the Clever Cloud console, and find the app you want to fine tune under it’s organization.
- Find the Environment variables menu and select it.
- In this menu, you will see a form with VARIABLE_NAME and variable value fields. Fill them with the desired values then select Create.
With the Clever Tools CLI
- Make sure you have clever-tools installed locally. Report to the getting started
- In your code folder, do
clever env set <variable-name> <variable-value>
Refer to environment variables reference for more details on available environment variables on Clever Cloud. You can of course create custom ones with the interface we just demonstrated, they will be available for your application.
Configure your Elixir application
- Get your Elixir version in your console with
$ elixir -vand set the environment variable CC_ELIXIR_VERSION to its value (available versions as of today are
If you deploy a Phoenix application
- Edit the file
- Generate a secret token with
$ mix phx.gen.secret.
- set environment variable SECRET_KEY_BASE to the value obtained with
$ mix phx.gen.secretpreviously
- set envrionment variable CC_PHOENIX_RUN_ECTO_MIGRATE to
trueif you need to trigger the command
$ mix ecto.migrate
Build, deployment phases and custom configuration
Once you push your code to Clever Cloud, the following commands are run:
$ mix deps.get $ mix deps.compile $ npm install
These commands will compile your dependencies at the root of your project folder.
If you want to use another folder for
npm install, specify it via the environment variable CC_PHOENIX_ASSETS_DIR.
To change the folder for the entire build / run process, you should use APP_FOLDER environment variable.
$ mix compile is run. If you want to override this behavior, you can set the environment variable CC_MIX_BUILD_GOAL to the value you desire.
At this point, there is the command
$ npm run deploy.
$ mix phx.digest is run. You can override this one with the variable CC_PHOENIX_DIGEST_GOAL.
$ mix phx.server is invoked, and as always, you can override this behavior, either with CC_RUN_COMMAND where you have to specify the full command, or CC_PHOENIX_SERVER_GOAL where it will be a mix task by default.
Note: If you need to specify the timezone of your application, you can do it with the variable TZ set to the usual timezone format, for instance
Git Deployment on Clever Cloud
You need git on your computer to deploy via this tool. Here is the official website of Git to get more information: git-scm.com
Setting up your remotes
The “Information” page of your app gives you your git deployment URL. It looks like this:
git+ssh://[email protected]/<your_app_id>.git. Copy it in your clipboard.
Locally, under your code folder, type in
git initto set up a new git repository or skip this step if you already have one.
Add the deploy URL with
git remote add <name> <your-git-deployment-url>.
Add your files via
git add <files path>and commit them via
git commit -m <your commit message>.
Now push your application on Clever Cloud with
git push <name> master
Refer to the quickstart for more details on git deployments.
Linking a database or any other add-on to your application
By linking an application to an add-on, the application has the add-on environment variables in its own environment by default.
On add-on creation
Many add-ons do exist on Clever Cloud, please refer to the full list and check add-ons dedicated pages for full instructions.
During add-on creation, you will see Applications screen, with a list of your applications. You can toggle the button to Link and click next. If you finish the process of add-on creation, the application will automatically be linked to it.
Add-on already exists
In the Clever Cloud console, under the Service Dependencies menu of your application, you can use the Link addons dropdown menu to select the name of the add-on you want to link and use the add button to finish the process.
You can also link another application from the same page in the Clever Cloud console, using the Link applications dropdown menu.
Need more configuration? To run a script at the end of your deployment? To add your private SSH key to access private dependencies? Go check the Common configuration page.
You may want to have an advanced usage of your application, in which case we recommend you to read the Administrate documentation section.
If you can’t find something or have a specific need like using a non supported version of a particular software, please reach out to the support.